2017 PSAC Power Rankings Preview
The PSAC, is Pennsylvania‘s NCAA Division 2 conference. Sixteen schools from all across the commonwealth compete in one of the most competitive leagues in the country. State schools and private schools pull students from across the north east but overwhelmingly from Pennsylvania.
Many PSAC teams were selected in national preseason polls;
Street & Smith’s D2 Top 25
21. West Chester
Lindy’s Magazines’ Top 25
AFCA (American football coaches association)
RV. West Chester
RV Slippery Rock
The eight head coaches in each division vote on a preseason poll each season.
3. Slippery Rock
6. Seton Hill
1. West Chester
5. East Stroudsburg
6. Lock Haven
PSAC Preseason Power Rankings;
1. Kutztown Golden Bears: Coming off a PSAC East title the Golden Bears look to stay atop a wide open PSAC East.
2. West Chester Golden Rams: Perennial powers the Golden Rams look to return to the top of the PSAC East after finishing 8-3 on a 6 game winning streak in 2016.
3. Shippensburg Red Raiders: 7-4 in 2016 the Red Raiders struggled down the stretch dropping two of the final three to miss out on the East title.
4. East Stroudsburg Warriors: Lead by the dean of PSAC coaches Denny Douds ESU looks to return to championship form after finishing 4-7 in 2016.
5. Bloomsburg Huskies: 6-5 in 2016 Bloomsburg has been a powerhouse over the last decade, the Huskies will look to build on key victories in 2016 and climb the standings in 2017.
6. Millersville Marauders: 2-9 in 2016 a young Marauder squad looks to continue to grow and build for this perennial bottom program into a true contender.
7. Lock Haven Bald Eagles: After the best season in recent memory the Bald Eagles will look to continue a recent string of success in Lock Haven.
8. Cheyney Wolves: 1-10 in 2016 was not a complete disappointment after a dramatic overtime victory in the season opener the Wolves ended the countries longest losing streak.
1. IUP Crimson Hawks: 10-2 and a second round NCAA playoff run would be a great season for most PSAC programs. At IUP that is the standard. Led by Harlon Hill candidate (D2 Heisman) Lenny Williams the Crimson Hawks are the team to beat in the PSAC west.
2. California Univ. of PA Vulcans: The defending PSAC Champion after going undefeated in the West and defeated Kutztown 49-7 in the PSAC title game the Vulcans look to continue the success of a 11-1 season.
3. Edinboro Fighting Scots: after the largest turn around in the NCAA last season. 0-11 in 2015 to 9-2 last season hopes are high in Erie county for continued growth and victories.
4. Slippery Rock: Second year Head coach Shawn Lutz will look to return SRU to its regular spot atop the PSAC West after a 7-4 season in 2016.
5. Gannon Gold Knights: 5-6 in 2016 overall but 1-6 in the West the Golden Knights will look to use continued success on the recruiting trail to climb the standings in 2017.
6. Seton Hill Griffons: The newest member to PSAC Seton Hill had their best showing in the league last season at 5-6. Playing inside the talent rich WPIAL in Greensburg, Seton is a program on the rise.
7. Clarion Golden Eagles: After a break out in 2015 Clarion took a step back 2016 at 4-7. Looking to pull talent from both Pittsburgh and Erie Clarion could surprise many in 2017.
8. Mercyhurst Lakers: 3-8 in 2016 look to take back Erie county after recent improvements in the Edinboro and Gannon programs, the Lakers will look to climb in 2017.
PSAC football kicks off on Thursday August 31st
Follow EasternPAFootball.com on Twitter @EPAFootball
Share This Post: